Sunday, August 16, 2009

Why is it so hard?

Contemplating last night as I lay in bed watching I Love You, Man, the movie about how I keep people at a distance for a very long time before I let them "in." The movie is about a man who is engaged and has no close friends to be in his wedding party, while his fiance has six close friends. (spoiler alert! in case you haven't seen it and want to see this masterpiece)

The movie follows this guy as he attempts to make friends and ends up making a friend but is very uncomfortable throughout the process. Interesting thought came to my mind that I really don't have very many close friends. I had a good friend in high school who is now a complete bitch and only sees her career and how many masters degrees she can get. She completely snubbed my mother at a funeral last month, treated my mom like someone beneath her.

Have a few friends locally, but they all grew up together in this small town and I'm just an outsider. Some days then bring me into their fold, others they plan parties without me. Very strange, indeed.

Reason for this post? Last year three local families (and when I say local, we live in a very rural area and they live about two miles from us) planned a party at the person's house with the most room. We cleverly titled the party an invitation from us three families. Cute, lots of people showed up. We ate cow balls (yes, that's what I said) and drank til the wee hours of the morning.

This year, it's time again for that same party (we have an excess of cow balls) however, the party does not include my family, another family has somehow replaced us. I was a little miffed when I received the evite this morning that our family was not included... so what's a girl to do? Reply with a "maybe." Hell yeah!

Not sure if I should say something to the "new" organizers? Just go and put on my happy face? Not go and sit at home with the family and watch crappy movies while they are two miles away having fun? Not even sure what I did to put them off? I think I might be threatening. Hell, I don't know. I get so sick of trying to figure other people out. This is number one reason I enjoy hanging with the hubby and his male friends. When the wives come out there are unwritten rules, feelings get hurt and if I forget to ask about their recent vacation, then I'm an instant bitch. I couldn't be more of a girly girl, love to shop, sip wine, talk gossip, love my cosmos, Sex and the City, would wear heels and skirt everyday. Maybe I just need a vacation. I've been working six days a week.

Poop. Hopefully I'm not the only one with these issues. Right?

5 comments:

  1. No, you're not the only one. I have exactly the same issues and find it really hard to be friends with girls. My best friend is my husband, which is great, but I'd definitely like to have more girls as close friends.

    Cow balls? Are they actually what they sound like or are they something else? Too scared to Google this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tenderly called them cow balls when in reality they are called calf fries. When it's time to "cut" calves in the fields in Oklahoma instead of throwing those balls away, they are considered a delicacy. Yep, a tasty treat! It's a sick ritual, but really, they are good. Usually while drinking beer, they are dipped in a batter of very cheap instant potato flakes (I'm told the cheaper the flakes, the better) and deep fried.

    They are bite sized tasty little treats. I'm a city girl so it's difficult for me to admit, but I really like eating cow balls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, so they were more or less what I thought they were!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting blog i ever see
    if friendly,pls follow me at

    www.pcwallpaperdownload.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i completely understand where you are coming from. i say don't go, tell them you already have plans and have your own party. it sounds like you'd have more fun with your own peeps anyway.
    Thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete