Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Change is good

I'm not talking political mumbo jumbo. (hope to never talk about that on this blog)

No, the big change for me is my major in college. Yes, I am a 31 year-old woman in college (online, albeit) But I'm in college. I live in the butthole of America and the only college near me is a rodeo college, yep not going there.

Previously my major was communications to compliment my job. Well, for the most part I hate my job. My boss is a complete brat and has poor communication skills and I just down right do not like my job. My boss is the CEO's son, in a small town in a small company.

The down side? I make very good money with excellent benefits. But money isn't everything, right? My happiness is much more important.

I contacted my counselor this afternoon and changed my major to education. I'm going to be a teacher. Very frightening. Haven't told the husband, in fact have told the husband I would never want to be a teacher, but I have always, secretly wanted to be a teacher and I'm so sick of fighting it. So, here it goes!

4 comments:

  1. Kudos to you! I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do at 43. I'm completely envious you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I taught high school English in Texas for 10 years and loved it. When my husband and I moved to Seattle, I wanted to do something different, to challenge myself, to see if there was anything else I could do besides teach. I went into retail management and did quite well managing a jewelry store, but I wasn't ever truly happy and settled. After 7 years, I've decided to return to the classroom. *small squeal of joy here* I want my life back. I want my words and actions to mean something, and teaching is all of that! If you decide to stay in the teaching field, you'll never be unchallenged and "flat" in this career! While I won't even make half of my prior salary, I cannot wait! Good luck to you and have fun!! Enjoying your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll do extremely well as a teacher...best of luck!

    And yes change is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DreamChaser, thank you for your comments!

    My husband is very supportive of my decision, probably one of the reasons I married him. He's a straight shooter, which is what I need.

    My salary will nearly be cut in half when I move to teaching (that sounded awesome to say!) from public relations, but it will be more fulfilling. It has been my dream since childhood to be a teacher!

    Little Ms. Blogger... I feel like I have lived many lives with all the career choices I've made from adjusting insurance claims, to insurance sales to public relations, now to teaching. I'm ready to listen to my heart and make it happen! You should go for it too! It's never too late.

    ReplyDelete