Thursday, January 14, 2010

What about America's needy?

The earthquake in Haiti has brought about a strong passion out the depths of my soul. I am in no way discounting the suffering and despair being felt in Haiti due to the tremendous loss they are suffering due to the earthquake, let me be clear. I do want to make a point that has been boiling around in my head for days since the tragedy: what about those in America who are suffering just as greatly at those in Haiti?

There are people in my town that are hungry tonight, while I munch on frozen pizza and complain about my entree of choice. There is an overload of coverage regarding the Haitian earthquake on every single news source: online content, morning shows, political shows, even on Facebook! Yet, those that are within our own borders receive very little attention, media or press time. That makes me sad and wonder what's wrong with our system and our attitudes towards those less fortunate. It sickens me when a celebrity endorses a charity outside of the United States as their passion, but every once in a while I am pleased to hear of a celebrity that endorses America interests rather than foreign.

I'm not just a talker... I'm also a walker. I support Feeding America on a national basis which is a non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating hunger in America. Further, I support the Meals on Wheels program in my community. I support a DHS child and a needy patient within the area nursing home. Giving back to my community first is something I boldly believe in.

Getting these words out has been therapeutic in a sense. Each time I turn on the television or pull up news on the internet I have been bombarded with the news in Haiti, not the poor starving and needy children in Oklahoma, which saddens me.

1 comment:

  1. HERE HERE. It is always easier to help other "poor" people than look at ourselves and the people neglected within our own borders.

    ReplyDelete