Thursday, July 16, 2009

Words do hurt


I learned yesterday a very valuable lesson. It was one of those lessons I hope to keep with me from here to where ever. The lesson is that words hurt. I am very wreck less with my words and never put much thought to how they affect those around me.

Yesterday, as I was carrying on in my regular routine at work, chatting with the girls, when a comment was made about my hair. A particularly passive-aggressive woman got really nasty and made a very rude comment about my face and hair... can't remember what she said but it was very nasty. I ahve been nothing but nice to this woman, seriously. There are people I might be uglier too, but this one... not so. Always nice to her.

The comment really hurt and her vengence and how she was so happy she upset me really spoke to me. Words do hurt. And I am very careless with my words. I am making a huge effort now to really try to be nicer with my words. I now realize after this incident how terrible they can be when not used properly.

The woman in question has obvious issues, she's quite moody and you never know what you'll get when speaking to her. So I'm always cautious of her anyhow.

So, here is my pledge to be kinder and nicer with my words. Starting now. Go!

What about you? Have any moments when you realized how harsh you can be? Or how harsh others can be? Words are very powerful. maybe more powerful than a fist. I hope to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment